Re: FC5_64 fails to start

On 4/17/06, Stephen Liu <satimis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi LX,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> > > I have FC5_64 running through numerous attempts on installing it
> > from
> > > FC5_64 CDs.  It worked a while hanging on screen while I attempted
> > > setup network connection to broadband compelling me to hit the
> > "reset"
> > > button.
> > >
> > > Now I could not start it again.  During booting it hanged on
> > detecting
> > > networking (broadband ISP).  I tried "init 2/3" also the same.
> >
> > Your hardware may be problematic for FC5 64.  As Kam Leo has pointed
> > out
> > in another thread, the 64 version's drivers need more work and do not
> > equal the quality of the 32 bit version.
> >
> > As someone else pointed out, the 64 bit gateway may have been opened,
> > but being able to walk the whole path may be a problem.
>
> I also suspect the problem coming from ASUS motherboard and PCI-E
> graphic card.
>
> ASUS A8N-VM Socket 939 motherboard.
> GigaByte PCI-E card, GV-NX66256DP2
> Nvidia 6600 PCI-E
>
> The motherboard has an onboard graphic card.  I may not disable it
> correctly.  Its manual/BIOS setup does not provide detail instruction
> on disabling onboard graphic card.  I'm now searching for advice and
> information in this respect.
>
> B.R.
> SL

If you can get the 32-bit veriosn of FC5 to install and work on your
system then the problem is the conversion of the drivers to the 64-bit
world.

Note: I am not trying to make light of this conversion. It is hard
work. The developers not only have to take into consideration physical
timing and design quirks of the device but also quirks/bugs in the
compiler.