Re: Best for Beginner :OpenSuse OSS or FC5

Personally I think the Fedoras are a better set of OS'es for a beginner.  Reasons:

1) a lot of Red Hat is out there in businesses; SuSE is too but I haven't seen as much of that (where I am anyway).  [please no flames on this - I KNOW there is a lot of SuSE out there somewhere I just haven't seen it].

2)  There seems to be an abundance of things that you need to understand in the Red Hat camp, and not as much as you might want in SuSE.  At least not last time I really looked (must admit I haven't worked with SuSE in awhile).  Things like drivers, documentation, etc.

3) I like Red Hat, Inc. much better than I like the Novell/GNOME/SuSE company.

Beginners in Linux should understand that there are rpm-based distributions such as RH and SuSE, and there are deb-based distributions such as Debian, Knoppix or Ubuntu.   Ubuntu is a good debian based distro if you want an alternative.  The Red Hat Package Manager (rpm) command will let you install and remove software - good to know as soon as you can, so you can manipulate your system.  Also Fedora Core 5 has come a long way and I have not had any problems with it - I find it to be a great new distro for beginners and I have recommended it to many people.

Marc