Re: partition management in linux

oleksandr korneta:
> this is 200GB drive.
> vfat partition size is 32Gb (the maximum windows is capable to work with).
> ext3 is the rest. And the latter one is ~80% full.

I've got a bigger drive than that on a Win98SE box, so I don't think the
limit is due to "Windows".

> Backuping the data on DVD will be the waste of time.

Some would argue differently.  You're about to play with partitioning,
that's a very good reason to have a backup.  Sure, it might take a lot
of time, but I don't think I'd call it a waste.  If you've got 200 gigs
of data that you want to keep, then backing it up is a worthwhile thing
to do.

Aaron Konstam:
>> Out of curiosity how did you get a disk with only extended partitions?

> the drive served as an external storage before. It was installed in
> usb-enclosure. I didn't see the point to have a primary partition since
> it wasn't meant to be bootable. The vfat partitions was for there
> compatibility with MS OS`s.

I've done similar things in Windows 98 SE.  Mounting a drive shuffles
the drive letters around.  At least you avoid some of that if you don't
have a primary partition, it didn't shuffle them all around (all the
other primary partitions stayed as they were).

I read messages from the public lists.