Re: New thread, broadcom 802-11 related

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 17 April 2006 10:02, Neil Cherry wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 17 April 2006 08:45, Neil Cherry wrote:
Frank Pineau wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 00:18 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
So I downloaded it, but nothing happens when I tap, or dbl-tap on
the SP30676.exe file.  Even in mc, which I thought could unpack
anything.

Next?  Surely there is a way to extract it and get the driver and
.inf file that ndiswrapper wants as an argument?
I had the same problem.  I had to extract the driver under
Windows.
You can extract it under Wine and when it blows up you'll find the
pieces under ~/.wine/drive_c/ (maybe SwSetup).
Ok, installing wine with yum now.  This should be fun, never having
run wine before...  Humm, I typed 'wine SP30676.exe' and it
installed about 20 megs of fonts!  And at the end, a bunch of
fixme's, and a flashing kicker bar section labeled "Broadcom
InstallShield Wizard", so I tapped on that, and it ran, and now I
have another section at the bottom of the screen labeled Broadcom
802-11 with a text window icon.  Tap that for effect.  And that gave
me an error occured while launching the setup with a (0x80020005) 32
bit number appended.  So it blew up as you said :)

But when wine was done, those files did exist.  But ndiswrapper
still fails with the exact same message when cd'd to that dir and
running ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf,

 "couldn't copy bcmw15.inf at ndiswrapper line 139"
I don't know why it doesn't work, what is the command you are
typing in?

ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf

I think the file name is wrong.

Are you in the directory what the files are?

Yes.

Good, that is important. It won't write anything to that directory
instead it puts everything in /etc/ndiswrapper.

I think you want the other inf file bcmwl5a.inf or somthing like that.
You can do a file * in that directory and it should be the ASCII
file not that data one.

AFAICS there is only one .inf file there, and its a BIG binary.
I'd moved 3 files altogether, and a file * shows this:

[root@diablo firmware]# file *

.../firmware/? weird mine is under ~/.wine/drive_c/SWSetup/SP30290A

bcmwl5.inf:
bcmwl5.PNF: PDP-11 UNIX/RT ldp
bcmwl5.sys: MS-DOS executable PE for MS Windows (native) Intel 80386 32-bit
[root@diablo firmware]#

Basicly nothing for the .inf.  And ls -la:
-r--------  1 root root 658896 Nov 28 04:35 bcmwl5.inf
-r--------  1 root root 379840 Feb 14 22:34 bcmwl5.PNF
-r--------  1 root root 424320 Nov 28 04:35 bcmwl5.sys

Do I need to get more than the .inf file from the ntfs partition?

I don't know, the one file (bcmwl5.inf) is a binary file
and I have no clue as what it is. The other inf file (bcmwl5a.inf)
is a ASCII file that you can look at with an editor. It lists
the files that ndiswrapper needs to install the Windows driver.
That's why the binary file will not work.

I just tried that by copying the whole dir from the ntfs partiton, but that made no difference, still the:
[root@diablo WLAN]# ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf
Installing bcmw15
couldn't copy bcmw15.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 139.
[root@diablo WLAN]#

When I ran the SP30290A.EXE file under win this is what
ended up in my directory (ignore my prompt):

[~/.wine/drive_c/SWSetup/SP30290A]
njc@cookie(pts/6)$ file *
Setup.ini:    ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
bcm43xx.cat:  ACB archive data
bcm43xxa.cat: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
bcmwl5.inf:
bcmwl5.sys: MS-DOS executable PE for MS Windows (native) Intel 80386 32-bit
bcmwl5a.inf:  Windows INF file
bcmwld2k.exe: MS-DOS executable PE  for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit
bcmwlhoa.ini: ASCII English text, with CRLF line terminators
bcmwlhom.exe: MS-DOS executable PE  for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit
bcmwlhom.ini: ASCII English text, with CRLF line terminators
bcmwlntp.sys: MS-DOS executable PE for MS Windows (native) Intel 80386 32-bit
bcmwlu00.exe: MS-DOS executable PE  for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit
data1.cab:    InstallShield CAB
data1.hdr:    InstallShield CAB
data2.cab:    InstallShield CAB
ikernel.ex_:  MS Compress archive data
is.exe:       MS-DOS executable PE  for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit
launcher.ini: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
layout.bin:   data
setup.exe:    MS-DOS executable PE  for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit
setup.inx:    data
setup.iss:    ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
setupa.ini:   ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
setupd.ini:   ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
sp30290.cva:  ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators

Note the "Windows INF file" (bcmwl5a.inf) that the INF file that
you need (I have a Broadcom BCM4318 802.11g NIC). The driver
I ended up using is in the bcmwl5a.inf (bcmwl5.sys). Look for
the bcwml5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys files. Type:

ndiswrapper -i bcmw15a.inf

Then see what happens.

And as you can see, I was cd'd to the ntfs WLAN dir that time.

I think I've an ndiswrapper bug, who do I nag about that?

I don't think it's a bug, your not using the correct file.

Do a search on the file SP30290.exe, that's the one I
use (with wpa_supplicant). In the next few months I'll
start fooling around with the kernel driver for the
NIC but for now it's just ndis.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site