Re: Samba nmbd messages in log (SOLVED)

David G. Miller wrote:
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 22:31 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:

I don't know why a Windoze network might need wins support.  Knowing
Microsoft products, its probably some legacy support option that
typically doesn't matter for relatively current products.

From what I've read, WINS is *needed* for resolving machine names
across different subnets (that's SMB machine name business, not
resolving machine names for any other purpose), without having to do
broadcasts (asking everyone if they're machine X, and hoping machine X
hears and responds).  It's to do with being able to locate the browse
master, so you can contact the right browse master for the answer.

On the other hand, if you're using DNS to find the IP for machines, it
shouldn't be necessary.

NB:  Machine name being the single host nane without any dots.  Like
having fred.localdomain with "fred" being the name.

I wonder if this is a bug in nmbd or its just nmbd doing *exactly* the same thing Windoze does. It seems to come up when there is another subnet that appears to be accessible. I saw it on my rig because my Samba box is also my gateway and nmbd complained that it couldn't find a PDC on my external subnet. This is with Samba configured to only "talk to" the internal network.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave -

What you describe is exactly what I had.

Ive been running Samba for a while, dating back to RedHat Linux days. Back them I would swear I needed wins support to work with a couple of old win98 machines on my network. winxp doesnt seem to need it.