how to force radeon kernel module to load?

    Looking through the message logs, I noticed that
while I had the "Load DRI" line in xorg.conf disabled
there were no drm related entries. However when I have
"Load DRI" present, I see a...

[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.1 20051102

entry but no matching entry showing a drm device being opened like
I see on a AGP based Radeon card with FC5...

[drm] Initialized radeon 1.22.0 20051229 on minor 0

I suspect this means I either have to wait for a new Xorg release
or hope the fglrx x86_64 drivers get fixed. I tried the current
release from livna testing and while glxgears works, the pymol
modelling program crashes under the fglrx drivers on x86_64.
               JackA
ps Again this is for a ATI FireGL V3100 (RV370) 5B64 (PCIE).