Re: New thread, broadcom 802-11 related

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 19:20 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun April 16 2006 5:30 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > According to lspci, this box has a Broadcom BCM4318 802-11g radio in it.
>
> I can't help you very specifically, but, I do have an HP Pavillion, a ZX5000;
> lspci says I have the Broadcom 4306;
> running PCLINUXOS, I have the wireless working perfectly with NDISwrapper;
> a month or so back, I installed MEPIS on that machine, and it booted up with
> the wireless just working - on investigation, I discovered that it had found
> the Broadcom, installed NDISwrapper, and the Windows driver, all on its own!
>
> I would suggest looking at NDISwrapper - you might just get your Broadcom
> going with that - by the way, after much experimentation in PCLINUXOS, I
> concluded that the various drivers available on the net were inferior to the
> ones that were installed in my Windows partition - if you read around, you'll
> see warnings that the installed Windows drivers are not always the most
> desirable, but in my case they were. Sorry I can't give you specific info re:
> NDISwrapper and FC5, but maybe this will help...

I'll second that.  I've run all flavors of Fedora on my Compaq nx9010
which has a broadcom 802.11g adapter (not sure which flavor off the top
of my head) and ndiswrapper has always worked well for me on it, using
the Windows drivers.  Never even had to mess with the kernel to make it
work.  The only annoying part is that the download of the drivers from
HP's site come in a self-extracting executable which I could never get
to extract properly under linux.