Re:FC4 sound Problem

Hi,

I am forwarding you the emails of a good guy that helped me with my FC4 sound problem.

I found him in a Gentoo list, asked him for help and this emails are the result.

hope it helps.

regards,

Guillermo.
--- Begin Message ---
On Monday 12 December 2005 08:21, you wrote:
> My name is Guillermo Garron, and i have read on a list that you had some
> problems with your sound card on FC4 and found the solution.

Actually I am not using FC4 and rather got the sound card working on Gentoo.
Most probably you read the solution I mentioned on gentoo users list. Anyways
I will try to help you but please keep in mind that I have no idea about FC4
so keep in mind that location of a few files on your system might be
different than mine.

As I asked the original poster, you need to give me output of the following
commands to help you better.
lspci | grep Audio
lsmod | grep snd
dmesg
locate alsasound

Also tell me whether you are using Alsa drivers of the kernel or you have
installed the drivers separately. If you have installed them separately then
you'll have to tell me the version of the drivers as well.

Abhay

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Saturday 17 December 2005 20:09, you wrote:

> the command
> lspci| grep audio
>
> gives no output.

The command is case sensitive. You need to type "Audio" instead of audio.
If you get output similar to the following then i can help you.
# lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family)
High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

I went through your dmesg output and it seems that you are also facing a known
bug which I talked about in my mailing list reply. Try the following commands
as root and see if you can get sound working.
# rmmod snd-hda-intel
# modprobe snd-hda-intel model=3stack position_fix=2
# alsamixer

Now set the volume of the channels to the maximum in alsamixer and unmute all
the channels by pressing the "m" key once on each of them. You will see them
getting unmuted when the letter "M" disappears from them. Exit alsamixer by
pressing escape key. Now try to play some .wav file and see if sound works.

Regards,
Abhay

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Monday 26 December 2005 04:11, you wrote:

> i have my sound now working! i am so happy!

Its nice to know that it worked but there is still work for you to do. The way
I explained to get sound working is temporary. After you reboot your system,
the sound will not work and you'll have to execute the commands again. To
make it permanent you need to execute the commands when your system boots but
since I am not using Fedora I will not be able to help you there. You need to
go to forums like http://www.justlinux.com/forum/ and ask the way to put the
commands in Fedora's startup.

> could you please explain me a little what those commands did?

Sure.
# lspci | grep Audio
lspci: as its name suggests "lists the PCI" devices attached to your system.
# rmmod snd-hda-intel
unloads the sound module
# modprobe snd-hda-intel model=3stack position_fix=2
loads the sound module along with the options.
# alsamixer
runs the sound mixer.

You can know more about each command by reading their man pages or manuals.
You can access man page of any command by typing the word "man" followed by
the command. example: "man lspci" (without quotes)

> Also do you know why i could make make two sounds come together in the
> linux?

You want to make more than one sound play at same time? If yes, then you need
to use ALSA as your output device. If you are using KDE, then go to
"Control Center" --> "Sound & Multimedia" --> "Sound System".
Then go to "Hardware" tab. Under "Select the audio device", select "Advanced
Linux Sound Architecture". Now you should be able to play more than one sound
together.

Regards,
Abhay

--- End Message ---