More on inability to play audia CD-s

Ok, some more inforamtion that may help illuminate the problem.
When I am logged in as a normal user and I insert an Audio CD and icon
appears on the desktop and totem plays the CD.

When I am root nad I insert an Audio CD an icon appears on the desktop
but nothing plays. No errors appear in messages.

However if I run totem  I get the following errors:
(totem:1960): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module
`/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so' (/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

(totem:1960): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module
`/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so' (/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

This is not surprising since there is no libcdda.so in the installed
gnome-vfs2 rpm. So why does totem play the CD as a normal user?

Next step is I run gnome-cd and get this error several times:
(gnome-cd:1995): WARNING **: ERROR: Could not open CD device for
reading.

So how come the program can read the CD when I am a normal user?

Any ideas? This seems crazy and backwards.
Thyme's Law: Everything goes wrong at once.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210)-999-7484 e-mail: akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx