Re: I give up on x86-64, its too busted.

On Sunday 16 April 2006 09:43, Bill Polhemus wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> What in hell does it take to actually install the x86-64 version of
>> FC5 on an hp lappy?
>
>Is x86_64 appropriate for an AMD 64-bit processor? I thought there was
> a distinction between Intel and AMD for 64 bits.

I don't know for sure, but since it ran long enough to get as far as it
did, IMO that has little or nothing to do with the real error.  The
real error was the inability to open setup-2.5.49-1 during the install.

Thats the problem I'd like to see addressed.  Its taken me nearly a week
to get as far as I did get, and to get stopped by the sort of error
that if it had ever been tested, even once, would have been caught long
before the dvd image was ever made visible seems inexcusable to me.

Now if fedora will respin that dvd, I'll try it, but in the meantime
I'll probably put the 386 version on it & wonder why I spent the money
for a 64 bit cpu.  OTOH, fedora hasn't yet ever respun a release even
if its busted like FC4 was.  Or I might even put kubuntu dapper on it,
that sure looked nice as a livecd, but theres a few things I'd have to
fix, like the no root login BS, and no shells to work in.  The thing
thats important to me is that I have a working machine when I head to
upstate MI in less than 2 weeks.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: