How to make yum seek alternative repository?

How can I make yum seek an alternative repository? I've been looking at it's man page and have yet to find anything.

Background:

My software development project wants to release .rpm packages via its own yum repository (we don't yet know exactly how to set up a yum repo, but we're assumign this is documented somewhere...and that we can make a repo with *only* our project's .rpms and not have to server others...if not let us know?).

However, I don't know how to tell our users to point their yum command to our repos while still inheriting the capability of the "standard" redhat/fedora yum repos for the package dependencies that we will have (eg, libc, Boost libraries, etc).

Any suggestions? I'm hoping our users don't have to edit system config files to do this. For starters, this is rather inconvenient and cumbersome; also, this breaks the ability to support non-root installations of software.

Thanks for any help,
-Matt