Re: FC5 and Dell 2405FPW display

> Does anyone have an xorg.conf for a Dell 2405FPW (24" flat panel) which
> is running as the first of two monitors connected to an Nvidia GeForce
> 6800 Ultra card? The other monitor happens to be a low quality NEC 17"
> flat panel, too.
>
> I jsut got the Dell monitor (it is sensationally nice!) and would like
> to get it working in FC4. I made the mistake of not saving the original
> xorg.conf file before turning on the FC4 "Dual head" configuration, and
> now X won't even start for me.
>
> Bob Cochran

I struggled with this for a while. It seems to work fine (but slow) out
of the box with the nv driver, but as soon as soon as I installed the
nvidia driver (FX5700) I was stuck with 1680x1200. I finally got it
working at 1920x1200 by doing the following:
1) install kmod-nvidia from livna
2) run the nvidia-xconfig utility
3) add the following line to the Screen section of xorg.conf
	Option         "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"

Do a "man nvidia-xconfig" to find out about the command.
Step 3 is the critical mojo for getting the full resolution.

I have attached the xconfig file, but you shouldn't need it.

Now if only I could figure out how to get dual screens working on
my x86-64/ATI7500 at work....

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Wed Mar 29
14:43:26 PST 2006

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, a font server independent of the X server is
# used to render fonts.
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath        "unix/:7100"
EndSection
Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "fbdevhw"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
## Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName      "LCD Panel 1920x1200"
    HorizSync       31.5 - 90.0
    VertRefresh     60.0 - 60.0
    Option         "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "Videocard vendor"

    BoardName      "nVidia Corporation NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
#    Option         "NoBandWidthTest" "True"
#    Option         "UseEdidFreqs" "False"
#    Option         "IgnoreEDID" "True"
#    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "False"
    Option         "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       16
        Modes      "1920x1200" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1200" "1920x1200" "1680x1050" "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
EndSection