Re: bootloader blues

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 08:27 -0500, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> This is the death of the bootloader blues thread, folks. My bootloader
> problem has been solved by Tim. Thanks and a tip of the hat to all who
> offered advice and twice to Tim for his hundred-proof solution.
>
> *    I booted from the CD into rescue mode (F5 key at menu)
> *    At the command prompt, I typed "chroot /mnt/sysimage <enter>"
> *    "root (hd1,0) <enter>"
> *    "find (hd1,0) /grub/stage1 <enter>"
> *     "setup (hd0) <enter>"
> *    "quit <enter>"
> *    Out of Grub, back at the command prompt, I ejected the CD and
> rebooted the machine. Grub came up just as it should have done in the
> first place. I can now boot into FC5 (default) or "other" (which is
> what the Grub menu calls Windows).
>
> Thanks again to Tim and to everyone who contributed.

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help, and you could follow my brief
writeup.  I wonder if this only happens to some, or to everyone who
tries installing FC5 in this manner:

1. /dev/hda drive has pre-existing Windows (XP) installation.
2. You set /dev/hdb1 new /boot for your new FC5 installation.
3. You set /dev/hdb2 new / for your new FC5 installation.
4. You ask FC5 to install GRUB to the /dev/hda MBR during the boot
   installation, with an option to boot Fedora or Windows, and Fedora
   picked as the default.
5. Installation finishes, you reboot, and it goes straight into the
   Windows routine, as if you'd never installed Linux.
6. You have to hand install GRUB to be able to boot Fedora.

Because that sort of thing should work without any problems.  Doing a
FC4 installation onto the same system that we tried FC5 on went off
without a hitch.  When FC5 came out a few days later (after the FC4
test), we wiped the Linux drive and tried a fresh installation, twice.

I don't know whether to bugzilla this.  It wasn't my PC, and I don't
know if the hardware was at fault or the installation routine.  Hearing
whether others experienced this, or that most find it installs fine
given circumstances like I outlined, or other advice, would help me
decide.

I read messages from the public lists.