Re: FC5 install hangs before formatting drives

On 13Apr2006 22:39, Lyvim Xaphir <knightmerc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 19:56 -0400, Cyrus A wrote:
| > I've tried installing FC5 about a dozen times over the past couple of
| > days, but to no avail. I'm using the FC5 x86_64 DVD and installing on an
| > nforce4 AMD 64 X2 3800 processor architechture.
| >
| > On the GUI install page reading "Fedora core 5 is ready for
| > installation. Click OK to continue", I click OK. The big screen-wide
| > progress bar appears but the system simply hangs. I know from experience
| > that the next thing that is supposed to happen is the / filesystem is
| > formatted, but the little window never comes up. The DVD simply spins
| > down and the system hangs forever. [...]
|
| I would suggest a test.  Download a copy of the FC5 cdrom version (700
| meg iso) and burn that.  Check it with sha1sum to make sure you've got a
| good burn.
|
| Boot with the regular iso version and see if you can duplicate the
| failure.  Report back with the info.

Also - is it _really_ hung? Or just doing disc I/O.  If you have the
surface-check option on it will do a surface scan of the drive, which
can take hours on a medern drive. Also, if you have not got DMA active
for the drive it will be about 10 times as slow (having just had no-DMA
problems recently on a machine).

Just wondering,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are so
long they can't afford the disk space.