Continuing FC5 DVD mount questions

[jcliburn@osprey ~]$ uname -a
Linux osprey 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 #1 SMP Tue Mar 28 03:38:47 EST 2006
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have a single DVD+-RW IDE drive at /dev/hdc.

First question.  By default, FC5 mounts DVDs at /media/{volume.name}
and places a labeled icon on the desktop.  However, if I add the
following line to /etc/fstab, the icon will show up on my KDE desktop,
but the mount will not show up at /media/{volume.name} when I insert a
disk.

/dev/hdc     /media/cdrecorder    udf,iso9660    user,exec,noauto 0 0

Apparently the mere presence of this fstab entry prevents the
/media/{volume.name} mount.  Does anyone know why?

Second question.  Assume the previously mentioned fstab rule isn't
present, so the DVD mounts the FC5 Way at /media/{volume.name}.  I
figured out how to write a HAL rule to override {volume.name}  such
that it's always "cdrecorder," so no matter what disk I insert, it'll
show up on my desktop labeled "cdrecorder," and it'll show up mounted
at /media/cdrecorder.  Unfortunately, this "mount" isn't visible to
DVD Shrink under Wine.  I've not tried to see if other apps are unable
to recognize it, but there's something unusual about the mount.  An
"ls -il" shows a very low inode number (264), whether or not I've
applied the HAL rule.  Where can I find detailed information on how
this mount is formed, and what the filesystem believes it is?

Last few questions.  Where does this new mount philosophy come from?
Is it driven by upstream changes in Gnome?  Is it a deliberate
decision within some segment of Fedora development?  How do I find
out?  The release notes say little about the subject, except that the
new way has happened and is more efficient than the previous way that
used fstab-sync.  Where is documentation on gnome-mount?  There's no
manpage, and the files at /usr/share/doc/gnome-mount-0.4 are sorely
lacking in detail.  gnome-mount --help provides some options, but for
me it isn't much help.

Thanks,
Jay