Re: ./configure command

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 14:03 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> > > Possibly. A large proportion of projects use "install" rather than "cp"
> > > in their Makefile "install" targets.
> >
> > Is there a reason that the install commands wouldn't show up in
> > the output or that they would be performed despite the -n flag?
> > The 'CP=cp -i' would obviously be useless.
>
> It was the 'CP=cp -i' that I was referring to. The "-n" should indeed
> prevent any commands from actually being run. However, the volume of
> output you get from an autotools-generated Makefile with "-n" would make
> it easy to miss something important, particularly given that some of the

I know what you mean.
I've encountered make files that would emit messages like
*** compiling foo.c ***
and make the actual compile step silent,
hence my advice about .SILENT .
The @'s before some commands should also be eliminated.

> output could include complex if/then type arrangements.

Weren't autotools supposed to eliminate that sort of thing?

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Demons after money?