Re: HP Pavilion LapTop, AMD Turion 64 cpu

On 4/9/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 00:21, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> >Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >> I just bought this thing, and have spent the evening doing a little
> >> housecleaning and exploring using the deafult XP Home edition OS
> >> thats on it, and trying to get used to the 'mouse' tablet as a
> >> navigator tool and have a few questions.  And please excuse me but
> >> this is the first 'windoze' machine I've ever bought.
> >
> >I just did the same thing with a different HP Turion-based laptop
> >(Compaq v5000z).  The steps I took were:
> >
> >1) boot the stock os and run the defragmention tool.
> >2) download the "gpartd" iso and burn onto cd/dvd.
> >3) boot the gpartd dvd and reduce the first partition size to
> >   something much lower.
> >4) download and burn fc5 onto a dvd
> >5) boot the fc5 dvd and have it use the "unused space" as the FC5
> >   partition
> >
> Thanks, sounds like a decent plan to follow.
>
> >So far I haven't reclaimed the D partition, but if push comes to shove
> >   I just tack it on to the end of the linux partition.
> >
> >> If I wanted to put linux on this, should I use the i386 dvd of FC5 I
> >> already have, or go get the AMD64 version?
> >
> >Personally I got an amd64 to do 64-bit address space things with.
> >Running it in 32-bit mode seemed really wasteful.
>
> Well, many of the linux apps aren't 64 bit clean yet, and I'd druther
> have the ability to run _anything_...
>
> >> Thats enough questions for one message I think, and many thanks to
> >> those who attempt to help a windows newbie get back to his favorite
> >> OS. :-)
> >
> >I know very little about ms-windows. The only thing I found it useful
> >for was to test the wireless card.  The broadcom-based card in my
> >machine (bcm4318) still doesn't show up under FC5 but works fine on
> >the stock os.
>
> So does this one, but theres no other 802-11 stuff within reach I guess.
> I don't have any as the one long piece of cat5 I have would, if
> replaced by an 802-11 lashup, probably be a wee bit too long for stock
> antennas.  Or drown out the neighbors should they ever want to do that.
>
> Thanks Wolfgang.
>
> >-wolfgang
> >--
> >Wolfgang S. Rupprecht                http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
> >Direct SIP URL Dialing:
> > http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should add the word
> 'online' between the 'verizon', and the dot which bypasses vz's
> stupid bounce rules.  I do use spamassassin too. :-)
> Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
> message by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2006 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

In conjunction with the restoration CD the hidden partition is used to
restore the original OS and software that came with your laptop. Make
sure that you have a way of backing it up and restoring it if you ever
want to use Windows again or if you plan on selling it. You are better
off shrinking the other partitions to create free space and installing
your distro there.