HP Pavilion LapTop, AMD Turion 64 cpu

Greetings;

I just bought this thing, and have spent the evening doing a little
housecleaning and exploring using the deafult XP Home edition OS thats
on it, and trying to get used to the 'mouse' tablet as a navigator tool
and have a few questions.  And please excuse me but this is the first
'windoze' machine I've ever bought.

If I wanted to put linux on this, should I use the i386 dvd of FC5 I
already have, or go get the AMD64 version?

It has an approximately 7.5GB partition D which is an image of the
install for recovery usage.  I've no idea where it is on the disk but
I'd assume (theres THAT word again) that its at the inside of the 100GB
drive thats in this.  So the question then is how does one go about
clearing some space to make room for an FC5 install without losing that
inside partitions location data and hence that whole partition?

Thats enough questions for one message I think, and many thanks to those
who attempt to help a windows newbie get back to his favorite OS. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: