Re: Pirut issues

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 00:11 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Has anyone seen this issue? I couldn't find anything in bugzilla.
>
> To be frank, its my experience that Pirut (and pup) are basically useless
> (actually worse than useless, as they do things you don't want or expect, and
> crash at every possible opportunity).
>
> I recommend the same as to everyone else I speak to about FC - just use yum
> directly at the command line - its a LOT more predictable, reliable and
> doesn't try to hide from you whats actually happening. Great for muppets,
> useless for anyone else.
>
> cheers Chris

I second that!  Pirut is pronounced: "PUKE" :-p

It caused me hours and hours of lost download time
because when it crashed as it very often does an in
an unpredictable manner - it will wipe out your cache
because by default, YUM will do that unless you add
an entry to yum's configuration file NOT to blow away
your cache downloaded files after waiting HOURS for it
only to be wiped out.

This is NOT a good plan by those that made that decision
to change yum's default cache behavior from FC4 to FC5.

Make sure you add in the parameter to yum and then stick
to using yum until a complete redesign of puruit is more
sensible. As it is, it is puke.  If you want to use piruit
do so at your own risk.  If you like playing craps, craps
you may get or you might get snake eyes. Place your bets.

I have been attacked by the FC defenders that hate to admit
their mistakes and it is appalling.  I have been called a
whiner, "should be ashamed of yourself", and other names
because they are blindly following the piper and fail to
see past their own nose.  All because I refused to use bugzilla
because I was just too pissed off at the time.  This time,
avoid piruit. If you choose use it, to it for SMALL files at
a time, it might work.

Of course, this is my opinion so don't pay any attention to
me because I am but a whiner. :-()

Dan