Re: How to copy a Fedora-4 system? Again!

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 09:08, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> The problem, as I see it, is: which directories should one exclude?
> In particular, if I copied /dev then the system booted,
> but there were a number of errors reported during the boot,
> and a number of services did not start.

It might have helped if you had reported these errors.  They
probably could be fixed if you've gotten that far. I thought
udev was supposed to fix things itself at runtime.

> If I didn't copy /dev the re-boot seemed to hang when init starts.

I'd expect that.

> Has anyone actually made a copy of an FC-4 system with success,
> using tar, cp -a, rsync or anything similar?
> If so, which directories did you exclude?

This really needs to be nailed down so people know how to
restore from a tar backup which is usually what you use
if you back up running systems.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx