Re: Logwatch puzzles

On Sunday 09 April 2006 14:10, Craig White wrote:
> > > As a temporary measure I'll try to set exclude lines in Logwatch for
> > > the most obvious groups of lines, in the hope that I can more easily
> > > see what else is there.
> >
> > I've hit a problem, seen in this report:
> >
> > Anacron job 'cron.daily'
> > /etc/cron.daily/0logwatch:
> >
> > Quantifier follows nothing in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/* <-- HERE
> > winbindd*/ at /etc/cron.daily/0logwatch line 1113, <TESTFILE> line 2.
> >
> > Obviously this is not a file that I have altered in any way, so it has to
> > be what it is reading that is the problem.  The lines it refers to are
> >
> > IGNORE: for my $ignore_filter (@IGNORE) {
> >                chomp $ignore_filter;
> >                if ($ThisLine =~ m/$ignore_filter/) {
> >                   $Ignored++;
> >                   next LINE;
> >
> > I believe the line that it is objecting to was
> > *winbindd*
> >
> > Presumably it doesn't like the '*' as a starting point.  How, then, can I
> > ignore all lines concerned with winbindd?
>
> ----
> just guessing that you did some editing within the 'samba.conf' file in
> the log.d services directory that maybe has caused this issue.

Nothing like that, Craig.  The only thing I changed was an additional line to
my ignore file.  I know practically nothing about regex, so I'm guessing that
I got it wrong.  Can you tell me what you would write if you wanted to exclude
all entries that contain the expression 'winbind.d'?

I have to get this right or drop the attempt altogether, because the wrong
entry resulted in no Logwatch file for yesterday.

Anne