Re: dual booting XP and Linux

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 14:28, Mike McCarty wrote:

> > But we are talking about fedora here.  If you need a 100%
> > guarantee, you are in the wrong place.  I suppose you can
> > ask for your money back.
>
> I don't see the connection between "this is Fedora" and
> "I don't mind giving bad advice about the OS 5% of the time".

Fedora is always new enough that it won't be well tested
across a lot of equipment.  Regardless of your advice it
won't always be right and advice based on working around
old bugs will almost always be bad even if it still happens
to work.

> >>I've encountered this "Oh, you're doing something wrong" attitude
> >>before in this forum, when an install doesn't work.
> >
> > And?  You don't think having a box that re-writes your
> > boot sector when you don't want that is something wrong?
>
> It doesn't re-write my boot sector without my permission.
> But it won't boot WinXP without it.

Perhaps I misunderstood - or someone else said their machine
tried to recover automatically.   Are you saying that you
can't chain-load an otherwise working Windows boot from
grub?  That's pretty strange.

> How about either:
>
> (1) fix the installer so it can handle this situation, or
> (2) document that it exists, and how to fix it up.

I don't think I understand it well enough to comment.  Where
is the relevant bugzilla entry?

> Even if neither of these is the choice, how about at least
> not telling people who encounter it that they doen't know
> what they're talking about, that they are hallucinating,
> or that they haven't used the installer correctly?

I though you were telling people who hadn't encountered it
and weren't all that likely to.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx