RE: dual booting XP and Linux

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 20:54 -0400, Washington, CJ (OCTO) wrote:

> [...]
----
I like the idea of removing the hard drives because it is safe. Your
Windows hard drive cannot be overwritten or damaged because it is not
there.

If you follow those instructions and put the Windows HD back in as a
slave drive...until you fix grub to allow you to boot Windows, you won't
be able to boot into Windows.

My inclination would be to leave the Windows drive as primary master,
make the Linux drive primary slave. Take care to install Linux only to
primary slave (/dev/hdb) but have grub do it's thing automatically,
which would over right the MBR on the primary master which would give
you a grub boot choice of Linux or Windows.

Craig

As for Timothy and Mike...they don't shy from their opinions but they
aren't dumb either. It's not about you.

Oh and by the way...your html mail is almost unreadable...could you
please post in plain text emails to the list?