Re: Are RWs a problem?

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 18:59 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Tim, you're being obtuse.  It does not matter in the least which
> method you use to umount, as long as you umount.  I never suggested
> that ejecting was a solution.  Mike had referred to umounting from the
> CLI, as you will see above.

Looking further back in the thread, it looks like the prior poster is
trying to do something with the disc.  i.e. They need the disc in the
drive, *and* for it not to be in use.  The messages that both you and
Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos reported this little bit in:  "Error trying to
open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second."

If it weren't for that (wanting to do something with the disc), then it
wouldn't particularly matter how you freed the drive.  But if you're
only going to have to put the disc back in again, and go through all of
this to burn a disc (or do something else with it), the little problem I
mentioned still stands (you want it just to be unmounted, not ejected).

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.