Re: Looking for Circuit CAD and simulation (optinal) for Fedora!

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 11:15 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 17:52 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > Dan Thurman wrote:
> > > a couple of issues when trying to figure out how
> > > to install gEDA on Fedora....
> > >

> > > 1) Created the CD, plugged the CD into the CD-player
> > >    and Fedora FC5 does not autorun.  Oddball was
> > >    I also have a 2nd CD/DVD (both RW) and it seems
> > >    to autorun but I could not run ./installer maybe
> > >    because the mount properties are not correct.
> > >
> > > 2) Digging deeper, the README says that if autorun
> > >    fails, then to manually mount with gentoo/debian
> > >    style, which I did, and I was then able to run
> > >    the installer script.
> > >
> > >    I had assumed at this point that following the
> > >    wizard instructions, to define the source and
> > >    installation directory would somehow take care
> > >    of things for the proper environment, i.e. a
> > >    Fedora environment for it's filesystem structure
> > >    but I guess I was wrong...  it was not installed
> > >    in the correct place(s).
> > >
> > >    Can anyone tell me how to properly install gEDA
> > >    on Fedora or point me to the links where I can
> > >    read up on it and install it right?
> >
> > There are a bunch of gEDA packages in the review queue for Fedora Extras.
> >
> > You might consider trying them:
> >
> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora+Extras&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=gEDA
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> Looks to me that gEDA is just not capable of being built and installed
> on FC5 at this time.  I tried to build/install using the gEDA wizard but
> it stops short attempting to build the gnucap application so I filed a
> bug report at the gEDA sourceforge site.  It is not clear exactly what
> the problem is - but I have seen something like this behavior in another
> application I was trying to build in FC5 and it involved g++ and
> iterator resolving issues but I don't know exactly what the problem is,
> i.e. if the problem is with the application itself, is g++ as bugs or is
> newer, or g++'s libraries with bugs, missing, or newer or what.  No
> clue.
>
> As for the link you provided, I am not sure what to do with it other
> than to see there are others wanting sponsors and/or is reviewing gEDA
> and a bunch of .spec files to be reviewed but getting gEDA onto FC5
> appears not ready for FC5 at this time? It seems gEDA in the
> experimental extras area is a bit fragmented compared with the full gEDA
> CD suite so I would not even know where to begin or start.

The packages submitted for Extras *should* build on FC5; I'm told they
work. You would, however, need to build them yourself for the time
being.

The reason that these packages have languished in the queue for so long
is that the submitter of the packages is a new contributor to Extras and
is in need of a sponsor. This means that only a limited number of Fedora
Extras contributors are able to sponsor new contributors, and one of
those needs to review the "first" package. With such a large and complex
project as gEDA, this is quite a daunting prospect. However, an
agreement has recently been reached where a number of contributors will
collaborate together to review the packages and then the submitter will
get sponsored (I have agreed to be the sponsor). Once the first package
gets through, the rest should actually follow fairly quickly as there
will be a wider pool of potential reviewers.

Once the packages are in Extras, it'll be possible to install them with
yum just like any other Extras package. You'll just need to know which
application(s) you want to use and yum will pull in any dependencies as
usual. Which will be nice :-)

Paul.