Re: yum clean all doesn't seem to work

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 13:06 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> >
> >> I have about 5 Gbytes of old RPMs in directories under /var/cache/yum,
> >> which I would like to clean out.  None of these commands seems to do the
> >> job:
> >>         # yum clean cache
> >>         # yum clean cache --enablerepo='*'
> >>         # yum clean all
> >>         # yum clean all --enablerepo='*'
> >>
> >> I'm reluctant to do
> >>         # cd /var/cache/yum
> >>         # find -name '*.rpm' | xargs rm
> >> if there's some way to remove the RPMs with yum.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > As a half-way house, couldn't you remove them with "rpm -e"?
> > Presumably this would be noted in /var/log/rpmpkgs .
>
> That would uninstall the packages; I think the OP just wants to clear
> his cache.
>
> I think the problem is that the repo names have changed since FC4 (is
> this an upgraded system)? yum will only operate on enabled repos, and if
> there is stored data for a repo that no longer exists (e.g. the "base"
> repo, which is called "core" in FC5), yum won't touch it. If you want to
> get rid of cached data for the no-longer-existing repos, you'll need to
> remove it yourself using rm.

>From the yum manual:
        The  following  are  the ways which you can invoke yum in clean
        mode. Note that "all files" in the commands  below  means  "all
        files  in  currently enabled  repositories".   If you want to
        also clean any (temporarily) disabled repositories you need to
        use --enablerepo='*' option.

A careful reading of this indicates that, as Paul H. writes, yum only
acts on repos that are listed in the configuration.  My system is FC4,
now upgraded to FC5; it looks like I should have run "$ yum clean"
before upgrading.

Is it true that anything left in /var/cache/yum after a
        $ yum clean all --enablerepo='*'
is junk and can safely be removed?

And this is another reason to do a clean install, along with all of the
orphan files in /usr/X11R6 which I don't know what to do with.  On the
other hand, a clean install loses all of the configuration files, which
it usually takes me a few days to restore.

!Foo! - jon