Re: my smtp server is very slow to accept connections today

On 4/4/2006 4:29 AM, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Don Russell wrote:
>> I'm using FC5 and have the "nightly yum update" turned on.
>> My FC5 box runs a mail server.
>> Yesterday, there were no problems.
>> Today, I can't send mail from PCs on the network... the Thunderbird
client
>> says "Connected to 10...." and eventuaally times out.
>>> From external machines I can telnet to port 25 and it takes anywhere
from
>> 40-80 seconds to get a reply from the server.
>> If I'm on the same machine as the server, the connection is immediate.
That tells me it is not smtp that's slow, but something relating to
external connections.
>> I have not changed any configurations... but with the nightly updates,
what could account for introducing such a delay?
>> I'm thinking somethin like it's trying to a reverse dns look up to
check
>> the address connecting, and that's taking a long time?
>> Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> Check that your nsswitch.conf has an appropriate hosts entry.

hmmm, I don't know what's "appropriate". :-(
The nsswitch.conf file looks pretty generic... the "hosts" line says:
hosts: files dns

Guessing, I changed that to
hosts: files dns [NOTFOUND=return]

then "service network restart"
but that had no effect...

hmmm, do I need to have my PCs listed in /etc/hosts ?

If so, that means something changed because this was all working fine the
other day... could a "nightly yum" have wiped out my /etc/hosts file?

> Check that /etc/resolv.conf points to nameservers that are working.
>
> Try using "dig" to check them out, e.g.
>
> $ dig @first.name.server -x 212.56.100.58
>
> See how long the lookups take.

I tried several times with the two dns addresses in /etc/resolv.conf and
  the longest query time was 180mSec, the shortest was 25mSec.

However, I also tried dig @dns-server - x 10.10.10.13
(the 10. address is my PC that tries to connect to my mail server at
10.10.10.250)

That timed out after 15 seconds.... expected, but far short of the delay I
see when I "telnet 10.10.10.250 25" from 10.10.10.13