Re: Wiring help?

Robin Laing wrote:

[snip]

FWIW, if you are looking at patch cables, in most cases it is cheaper to buy them than the cost of materials and labour to make them. In these

In my area, CAT5 prepared cable is about $1.00 USD per foot, while
unprepared cable is about $0.50 USD per foot. IOW, a 5 foot cable costs
about $6.00 USD. The crimping tool costs about $20 to $30 depending on
quality. The connectors themselves are quite cheap, even for reasonable
quality gold plated, like $0.10 USD each. Recently, I needed a 50 foot
cable (umm, 16 meters or so) and found that if I bought the unprepared
cable, for the same price, and the time cost of preparation, I got the
tools free. A 50 foot prepared cable was about $35.00 USD, while I
got the unprepared cable, crimping tool, and 5 eight pin and 10 four
pin RJE connectors for $38.00 USD.

So, if one needs one or two 5 foot cables, then the prepared cable
is cheaper. If one needs twenty 5 foot cables, then unprepared
cable is cheaper.

[snip]

One thing I've wondered: On what basis should one choose between
using EIA 568A and EIA 568B? Electrically, they are the same.
I've been out of the cable making "business" for several years,
so I don't know why there are two standards for this, anyway.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.