[OT] Sendmail's vacation

I'm trying to figure out how to properly set up sendmail's vacation program based on the way things are configured on our network.

There are three machines in this game: a master MX that accept inbound e-mail for our domains. That MX will then push the messages through to a spool server which then stores it. The server containing user accounts exports user data through NIS+ to the spool server, and also NFS mounts /var/mail/ from the spool server.

The problem now is that when a user sets up a vacation message, it never works because mail doesn't ever actually get delivered to that machine...only to the spool server. But, the users don't have access to the spool server, nor does it actually hold any physical folder information for each user, so I wouldn't know how or where to set their vacation to begin with. Oh, and the same applies for anything else related to it, like .forward for example. Because mail doesn't physically get delivered to the server containing the user's physical account, anything they do won't work.

Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this issue, without having to reconfigure or redo the whole setup? This is a live, very active, setup, and I can't afford down time.

   Thanks.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130