Re: Yum doesn't appear to update packages anymore

Rickey Moore wrote:

alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Try "yum clean all" and see if that fixes it. If not, try removing yum-changelog. (That one gave me some weird problems similar to what you describe.)
huh, I can't slocate yum-changelog but I am seeing some yum files with .rpmnew and .rpmorig. I assume rpmnew = FC5 and the intact file is the FC4? When rpm does over write a config file .rpmorig is produced and the current config file would be FC5? Weird, I had read that the new yum behavior was to erase the rpm packages upon completion, but I found 300+ rpm files still there. Something amiss between .rpmnew and .rpmorig? I did do the yum upgrade path and darn near have a working machine again...  I'm happy. Ric

You get .rpmnew/.rpmsave files when
(a) rpm updates a package, AND
(b) a configuration file has changed beteeen the previous and current package releases, AND
(c) you made a change to that configuration file.

Whether the old one is renamed to .rpmsave or the new one is installed as .rpmnew depends on how the packager has decided to handle configuration file changes.

Either way, you need to find all of these files and decide for yourself how you want to handle them, typically by merging any manual changes you made in the original configuration files into the "new" configuration files.

You can have these issues whenever packages are upgraded, but of course you gets *lots* of them when you do a distribution upgrade.

Paul.