Re: cpio copy linux installation (FC3)?

At 12:00 PM -0600 3/31/06, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 08:58, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> Some might say that I should have used dump and restore. Is there an
>> advantage over using cpio? I could have just used dd, but I tried cpio both
>> as a learning experience and in order to optimize the filesystem.
>
>I think dump/restore is now supposed to take the extended attributes
>that selinux needs.

OK, that would be useful.  I don't think mine does (FC3), as the man page
doesn't mention extended attributes (or SELinux).

>Other than that, 'cp -a' would be just as
>good or 'tar -cf - ... | (cd target_path; tar -xpf - )'

I wasn't sure about that, having seen that thread a month or so ago that
said otherwise about cp (no special files); Gnu tar was supposed to handle
special files but be slower than using cpio.  Using dd should work, as both
partitions are the same size.

Are there any other things that should be updated when changing partitions?
For instance, are there any references to absolute paths in /dev, other
than in /etc/fstab?