Re: Tyan S488[125] + FC[3-5]

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 15:11 -0500, Gaspar Bakos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have a comparison and experience with the following Tyan
> Quad motherboards supporting 4 AMD opteron CPUS?:
>
> S4881: AMD-8000 + NVIDIA chipset
> S4882: AMD-8000 chipset
> S4885: nVidia chipset
>
> Our goal is to build a 4 CPU Opteron system, each CPU being dual core (so
> essentially we would have 8 CPUs). We would run RH FC[345] on it
> (whichever we find more stable for the purpose).
>
> I did lot of googling, and the above motherboards are pretty much
> compatible with recent linux kernels. However, there may be subtle
> incompatibilities (e.g. Broadcom, Silicon fake SATA drivers, etc.) that
> would rank the motherboards as one being more linux compatible than others.
>
> Even experience such as "I have this system and runs fine" would be useful.
>
> Cheers
> Gaspar

I'm running FC4 on a dual - dual core Tyan Thunder K8WE (s2895) without
any problems. (Just make sure you configure the BIOS' OS type to Linux).
I doubt that the s48xx will cause you any grief.

-However-, make sure you get a new s4882/5. As far as I remember, the
original s4881 didn't support dual core Opterons.

Gilboa