Re: Brave soul upgraded with yum... udev and missing default font woes

Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

> Rickey Moore wrote:
>> Well, after numerous starts and fits it mostly got installed. I can
>> manage an emergency terminal in X, but that's it. X complains of a
>> missing default font.
>
> Is xfs running?
>
> Paul.

I haven't seen the earlier part of the thread,
but I "yum-upgraded" a laptop to FC5 a couple of days ago,
and X did not work because /etc/X11/xorg.conf
contained explicit FontPath's.
When I changed them to
FontPath "unix/:7100"
as on machines where I had installed FC5 cleanly
X ran fine.
Tim, I had to comment that line out, as the init would fail remarking that it couldn't find that file in the X init log. I can get to the login now, b! ut neither KDE nor Gnome will come up, so I go into failsafe... thank God that is working, and crank up firefox from the command line.  I can enter startkde and get kde up and running nicely. So, I'm wandering the land of the missing config file. UDEV is also failing on me, and that seems to be pretty major. <sigh>

What's strange is that I did yum upgrade, but now I'm having to yum install kde* and gnome* so there's is no telling what else I'm missing. yum upgrade smugly reports there is nothing else to install, the little blighter. I ran rpm --rebuilddb and that's when the lack of KDE became known to yum. But, it still insists that nothing is in need of update. You gotta love these little buggers, or you'd be taking an axe to 'em. <g> Thanks for the reply... very much. Ric

...the Sin of Ignora! nce, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/