Re: FC5 WiFi confusion

>> Funny, i use NM with WPA-PSK with no problem. This was the 1st time in
>> fedora, where i did not have to fiddle around to get wpa-support
>> running.
>> What does it say, if it doesn't allow you to connect via wpa?
>>
>> Roger
>>

> Y^Ou have a How to on this?  I would like to set up mine as well I'vee
> been using WEP since FC3.  I have had a few attempts on my wireless
> and would like to make it stronger

No, unfortunately i haven't but i can try to describe installation with
ndiswrapper (with the workaround i had to use as it did not create
wlan0-device)

1) install ndiswrapper from livna - wpa_supplicant should be installed of
the box: yum install ndiswrapper

2) then download your cardsdriver (you will find a list on the
ndiswrapper-wiki at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net)

3) install then the driver using ndiswrapper -i DRIVER.INF

4) install the ndiswrapper-device: ndiswrapper -m

5) load the kernel-module: modprobe ndiswrapper - ndiswrapper -l will show
you the installed driver as the hardware too.

6) i had to make an additional entry in /etc/modprobe.conf - alias wlan0
ndiswrapper - otherwise it won't recognize it at boot-time

7) reboot best, login as root and start system-config-network

8) now, you should be able to install wlan0. install new
wireless-interface. Mode = Managed SSID=Auto

9) save & exit

10) /sbin/service NetworkManager start && /sbin/service
NetworkManagerDispatcher start - now you will see the applet.

11) right click the applet and add new wireless-network. it will prompt
you to choose wep/wpa/whatever. make your selection. it will ask you then
for the passphrase (if you chosen wpa-psk). enter it.

12) it will save your passphrase and ask your for a password for your
keyring. enter any password you like and remember it :-) - you will need
it each time you go online with NetworkManager

13) to start NM at boot-time do 'chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on'
and 'chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on'

...i had to reconstruct of my head, but i think this is all...let me know,
if it was helpful for you too. Also, i think you will bring up more time
with reading this than with the real work :-D

HTH
Roger