Re: Menus/Launchers

Dan:
>> There's a new feature in FC5's GNOME where you can right-click the
>> menu (the main one on the panel, not while it's open) and select Edit
>> Menus, there you can pick some menu items to not show.

Stanley Davis:
> Thanks alot.  I just wish it was available in previous version of FC,
> I could have prevented my son from making changes I did not want.

Why do you think that?  Hiding what's in the menus doesn't prevent
someone from running a program that could be launched by them.  If you
have seperate user accounts, and you should, then how one user uses
their login shouldn't affect the other.  If you're letting your son have
root access, then you're hosed no matter what you try to hide.

For basic security that'll require someone opening up the box to bypass;
make only the hard drive bootable in the BIOS, password protect the
BIOS, password protect the GRUB boot menu from changes and choices that
can be used to boot up alternatively in a compromisable manner.

I read messages from the public lists.