Re: FC5 RAID 1 - booting off either drive

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 08:05 -0700, Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 21:43 -0600, Laurence Vanek wrote:
Greetings -

To my surprise, fresh install of FC5 with RAID 1 configured at install time went without a hitch. I have /dev/md0 defined on /boot partitions. It boots fine with this setup.

I had my FC4 system setup this exact way except I found that I had to manually install grub on one of the disks to permit booting off either one if the other is down.

Does anyone know of a way to check for the presence of grub on each drive (obviously its on hda since it boots presently) to see if this needs to be done for FC5 also without powering down each drive in turn & attempting to boot?
----
thought I should post against the right thread

just an untested thought...

bb if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/sda-bootblock.bin bs=512 count=1
bb if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/sdb-bootblock.bin bs=512 count=1

diff /tmp/sda-bootblock.bin /tmp/sdb-bootblock.bin

Thinking...

- substitute different values for sda/sdb as fits
- the first 512 bytes on each drive are the boot (perhaps less, someone
will surely correct me...it might just be the first 256 or 384 bytes)
- if they are the same (i.e. grub has been installed on both), there
will be no diff

otherwise...

grub-install /dev/sdb

Of course, the only way that you'll ever KNOW for sure that it's going
to work is to do a real simulation, i.e. disconnecting one drive, then
the other drive...
----
not only wrong thread but as Paul so correctly points out.

dd - NOT bb

I am rapidly ingesting coffee but haven't figured out a mainline method
so I am left to normal ingestion methods which apparently haven't quite
caught up to my fingers or my brain.

duh.

Sorry

Craig

Followed your suggestion. Boot sectors were NOT the same size on hda & hdc (hdd is my CD-RW). Same deal as with FC4. I installed grub on my second drive (hdc) using:

#grub
grub>root (hd1,0)
grub>setup (hd1)
grub>quit

powered down, unplugged hda & VIOLA! (it boots).

Thanks for the help.