Re: Oh....rats.... screensaver activates itself

Jim Cornette wrote:
Tom Killian wrote:
gnome-screensaver should be located under the System > Preferences >
Screensaver menu selection. I believe you can select to disable the
screensaver, stop it from locking the desktop and the like from there.

Does anyone know a way of doing this through a script?  It would be
nice if mplayer, for example, could disable and then restore the
screen saver.

I watched a movie using xine and xscreensaver-base where the screensaver never kicked in except when I paused the DVD for a bit to do something.

gnome-screensaver is said to take advantage of the message bus. I don't see why the screensaver cannot read video memory, differentiate between the video content a minute or two earlier, if checksum is the same, engage, otherwise do nothing at all.

Jim

I believe totem or something similar has an option to keep the screensaver at bay while video is playing.
-Dan