Re: Trash in FC5 not working?

Mike McCarty wrote:
Jacques B. wrote:
On 3/28/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 11:04, Zubin Bharucha wrote:

Perhaps I'm stupid but perhaps there's a problem with Gnome in FC5. I'm
wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem.
The other day, I hit delete on a file. In FC4, this would send it
straight to the trashcan and it would stay there until I clicked "empty
trash" or until I recovered/restored it. However, here, it just
disappeared like as if I'd permanently deleted it. The trash can
remained empty and obviously "empty trash" remained unhighlighted. So
what's the deal? Am I doing something wrong? Have I not selected some
option? I also tried dragging a file to the trash and it disappeared
too. Shouldn't something as basic as the trashcan work straight out of
install?
Hit back with replies if you've noticed this problem. It might be a
serious problem for some people. Luckily none of the files I deleted
were of any great importance.
-Zubin

Just tried it and it goes to the trash no problem on my system.  Was
the file too big for the recycle bin perhaps?

How could this be possible? I don't know exactly how the "trash bin"
works (for one thing, I don't use it, I use rm), but if I were
writing such a thing, I'd simply rename the file to the Trashcan
directory, and make an entry in a database. Perhaps it was in a
different disc? That might make sense.

Mike
I'm not sure, but seeing as he also referred to it as a recycle bin, I'm sure he was analogizing to our favorite MS OS, in which files larger than (probably) 4 gigs are "too big".
-Dan