Trash in FC5 not working?

Perhaps I'm stupid but perhaps there's a problem with Gnome in FC5. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. The other day, I hit delete on a file. In FC4, this would send it straight to the trashcan and it would stay there until I clicked "empty trash" or until I recovered/restored it. However, here, it just disappeared like as if I'd permanently deleted it. The trash can remained empty and obviously "empty trash" remained unhighlighted. So what's the deal? Am I doing something wrong? Have I not selected some option? I also tried dragging a file to the trash and it disappeared too. Shouldn't something as basic as the trashcan work straight out of install? Hit back with replies if you've noticed this problem. It might be a serious problem for some people. Luckily none of the files I deleted were of any great importance.
-Zubin