Re: Multiple nameservers on one server

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 16:12 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
> > I want to set up a DNS server that will 'emulate' multiple nameservers
> > on one server ie when queried, the answer will appear as if _this_
> > physical server is the SOA for _this_ domain only.
>
> What is it about a server handling multiple domains that gives it away
> as handling multiple domains rather than just the one that's being
> queried? I can't think of anything offhand.
>
> > How would I list multiple reverse lookup (zzz.yyy.xxx.rev) files in named.conf?
>
> Same way that you would handle any other multiple zones; there's nothing
> special about reverse zones.
>
> Paul.

Hi Paul.

Thank you for replying :-)

I've Googled and only ever seen examples of named.conf's with one
reverse zone (yet multiple forward zones [1, 2, ..., n] for which the
reverse zone is SOA). I'm trying to provide primary nameserver services
to multiple domains such that:

/etc/named.conf looks like:

-----8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<-----

zone "yyy.xxx.www.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "/var/named/yyy.xxx.www.rev";
	allow-query { any; };
	};

-----8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<-----

and /var/named/yyy.xxx.www.rev looks like:

-----8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<-----

$TTL 3600
$ORIGIN yyy.xxx.www.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
;
@ IN SOA ns1.domainname_0.tld. admin.domainname_0.tld. (
		0603240000 ; serial
		10800      ; refresh
		3600       ; retry
		604800     ; expire
		10800      ; minimum
		)
;
		IN NS ns1.domainname_0.tld.
;
		IN NS ns1.domainname_1.tld.
		IN NS ns1.domainname_n.tld.
;
		vvv.www.xxx.yyy IN PTR ns1.domainname_0.tld.
;
		vvv.www.xxx.yyy IN PTR ns1.domainname_1.tld.
		vvv.www.xxx.yyy IN PTR ns1.domainname_n.tld.

;

-----8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<-----

I'm going to guess that I can either adopt the following naming scheme
by changing the generic:

file "/var/named/yyy.xxx.www.rev";

to:

file "/var/named/yyy.xxx.www.domainname_0.rev";

in /var/named.conf say,

-----8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<-----

zone "yyy.xxx.www.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "/var/named/yyy.xxx.www.domainname_0.rev";
	allow-query { any; };
	};

zone "yyy.xxx.www.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "/var/named/yyy.xxx.www.domainname_1.rev";
	allow-query { any; };
	};

zone "yyy.xxx.www.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "/var/named/yyy.xxx.www.domainname_n.rev";
	allow-query { any; };
	};

 or change statements in reverse zones by having one 'type master;' and
the others 'type slave;'?

Thanks again for your help!

Stu@