Re: NO Sound on Dell. Intel sound experts available?

Leon wrote:
> careful with alsamixer, set 'master' and 'pcm' to non-zero doesn't
> mean the sound isn't muted. You might also need to change other
> options.

Aaron Konstam replied:

Tim wrote:
> I think Leon is referring to this:  You can raise the volumes, but you
> may still have no sound if they're still muted.  Raising the volume
> controls doesn't cancel a mute switch, and lowering a volume control to
> zero doesn't switch on the mute.  They're independent.

Whereas what *I* read was that depending on the sound-card and options
you may have several sliders controlling the volume. If all of them are
fully on, you will get sound. If you slightly turn down any of the
sliders, the volume will go down (possibly only in one channel). If you
put the right slider, or the right combination of sliders, to zero, you
will have no sound.

For example, if you're playing stereo sound, and you've got both left
and right channels at zero, it doesn't matter that the master volume
level is fully on...

(I assume the root problem is that you can have analogue and digital
signals out of the same jack on many sound cards, and there's no way for
the system to know what sort of speakers you have attached. And digital
noise over analogue is not pleasant. So either you have to get people to
work out that the white noise is, in fact, digital audio, and work out
how to mute it, or get people to work out that they need to unmute the
sound before they can hear anything...)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "!" sez I.  And "?".  After a few speechless seconds I
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | come out with "%^&*".  Unless I come up with something