Re: Trash in FC5 not working?

Jacques B. wrote:
On 3/28/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 28 March 2006 11:04, Zubin Bharucha wrote:
Perhaps I'm stupid but perhaps there's a problem with Gnome in FC5. I'm
wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem.
The other day, I hit delete on a file. In FC4, this would send it
straight to the trashcan and it would stay there until I clicked "empty
trash" or until I recovered/restored it. However, here, it just
disappeared like as if I'd permanently deleted it. The trash can
remained empty and obviously "empty trash" remained unhighlighted. So
what's the deal? Am I doing something wrong? Have I not selected some
option? I also tried dragging a file to the trash and it disappeared
too. Shouldn't something as basic as the trashcan work straight out of
install?
Hit back with replies if you've noticed this problem. It might be a
serious problem for some people. Luckily none of the files I deleted
were of any great importance.
-Zubin
Just tried it and it goes to the trash no problem on my system.  Was
the file too big for the recycle bin perhaps?
The file was a 37kb jpg.
Also if you go under System, Preferences, File Management and then
select the "Behavior" tab you will note two options under Trash.  One
being "Ask before emptying the Trash or deleting files" (checked off
on mine, so I suspect the default as I haven't changed it) and the
second being "Include a Delete command that bypasses Trash" (not
checked on mine so I suspect not checked by default).  Check and see
if you have that option set.
My behavior settings are exactly like yours are.
 If so when right clicking on a file you
will see the option to "send to trash" or "delete".  The "delete"
option will notify you that it is not going to Trash.  However if you
delete from the terminal shell using the rm command, in testing I've
noticed that it does not go to Trash at all (not even the .Trash -
that only happens when it also goes to the GUI Trash bin at least on
my system).
I didn't do rm -rf or anything like that. I simply hit "delete" as I wanted it to sit in the trashcan until I felt like recovering it. As per the previous email, I did check ~/.Trash and all my deleted files were there. However, i am still perplexed as to why they don't show up in my trashcan.
Now if that file you deleted is very important, it can most likely
still be recovered.  But you will want to avoid any further activity
on the system to avoid having the data overwritten before you have a
chance to recover it.  There are a number of ways you can try and
recover it.  I'll refrain from going there unless you are seeking to
go there (plus I'd have to pull out some of my books to refresh my
memory on some of the techniques).

Thanks, but the files were extremely unimportant and no problems were caused. I do know of these tools and they are excellent! They helped my recover a 250Gb HDD that others had termed as "beyond repair" once.
Jacques B.
Zubin B.