Re: Yuming/Updating via ISO's

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

Thanks; could you give my HOWTO a try:

http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages

I will do; thanks for the work.

Incidentally, I didn't understand
"Mount all of the CD images simultaneously and create a symlink farm to the packages on each CD"
in one of your suggested methods.

Well, the "mount all of the CD images simultaneously" is done as part of the procedure I eventually went for. What I meant by "create a symlink farm to the packages on each CD" would be something like:

mkdir repo
cd repo
ln -s ../disc*/Fedora/RPMS .
createrepo .

That would create a "repo" directory full of symlinks to the packages on the loopback-mounted ISO images, which would be equivalent to having all the packages in one directory, like on the DVD. The disadvantage of that approach is that you need to have all 5 CD ISOs mounted whenever you want to use the repo, and that's using up 5 loop devices, and I think the kernel only supports 8 at a time so that's rather wasteful.

Paul.