Re: What's wrong with the kernel?

sean wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:48:58 -0500 (EST)
tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

While strictly speaking, that entry answers the question, IF I read it correctly the details are a _little_ thin. Of course, the details I would like to know probably don't belong in that particular document.

Specifically, my question would be "Why are the non-gpl'd kernel modules not supported in the release kernels?" and "Is there a semi-simple work-around available?"

Because a kernel symbol was changed from a regular export to a GPL export
becoming unavailable for linking by proprietary modules.   This change
has been reverted, you can grab the new kernel from updates-testing.

Since my video cards are NVidea based, I'll wait until I can use the non-gpl'd modules before investigating FC5 for my own use.

The open source nv driver is worth trying.

Not right now, if you have a Geforce 6800GS.
I suspect that such details may be found over on the developement list, and I may get enough ambition to go look for myself. OTOH, if somebody has a summary or a direct pointer, I sure would be obliged.

Most discussion happened on the testers list:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-March/msg00965.html

See the reply from Dave Jones.

Sean

-Dan