Re: lvm over raid confusion

Jack Tanner wrote:
Paul Howarth <paul <at> city-fan.org> writes:

Try it again. I rebuilt the initrd using the --noresume option of mkinitrd.

OK, chapter 2.
- Boot from rescue CD.
- After it asks for keyboard layout and network, but before it scans for Linux
partitions, Ctrl-Alt-F2 and do # mdadm -AR /dev/md0 /dev/hdb /dev/hdc. It runs
/dev/md0.
- Switch back to rescue installer, and have it scan for Linux partitions. It
finds the install!
- I can now chroot /mnt/sysimage and build my own initrd. It builds in the RAID
drivers, and device mapper!
- Reboot with the new initrd. It loads the RAID module, and seems to correctly
detect /dev/md0, but it still does NOT find the volume group!!! Same output:
Couldn't find device with uuid ...
Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00

I tried again and generated an initrd with --noresume, but that doesn't change
things at all.

Argh!

Maybe I can separate the VGs so that the RAID array isn't part of VolGroup00.

For future reference, you can also ignore its request to find your installation, mkdir /mnt/sysimage, and mount your root partition there yourself, and your /boot partition and whatever else you need to work with. I did this all the time on my FC4 installation, since it was on NVRAID and i needed dmraid loaded before I could access it; I'd mount a partition simply containing the binary /sbin/dmraid (or in my case, my backup of my root partition) in /mnt/sysimage, then run dmraid -ay, unmount it, and then mount whatever NVRAID partitions I wanted to work on.
-Dan