Re: Evolution: Why are images not displayed?

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 09:26 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I guess it did not occur to me until now since I am starting
> to use Evolution's Email system... is that when I receive unsolicited
> email that are html formed, I noticed that *all* of the images are shown
> with the "X" images instead of the picture they are supposed to be.
>
> Is that normal?
----
Evolution => Edit Menu => Preferences => Mail Preferences => HTML Mail
tab => Loading Images
----

> One thing I like about M$ desktops over linux (fedora) is that
> "all of this mundane stuff" is mostly already installed so you
> wouldn't notice...  images and most things are there and is taken
> for granted.  That is the way things should be IMHO.
----
everyone has an opinion

unlike Microsoft, there actually is a method to report your expectations
and how/where your expectations are falling short, that's called
'Bugzilla'

I think with specificity to your concern, that is a security issue since
it is easy enough to include an invisible (or visible image) within the
html mail that loads an external link which signals to the 'sender' that
you have opened the email.

Thus unlike Microsoft, the default settings on Linux systems tend to
favor security rather than ease of use.
----
> Due to the various reasons of legality (blah, blah, blah) - it
> seems that linux makes it as easy as doing a root canal when
> you have to figure out just exactly what needs to be done to
> install the various "necessary packages" in order to complete
> the "missing picture" be it the web-browser, (html aware) the
> email applications and so on.  This is a major gripe at least
> for me.
----
I think that the applications Thunderbird and Firefox are pretty much
the same regardless of platform. Evolution, being part of gnome tends to
have gnome philosophy in terms of configuration choices (few) etc.

As for the non-GPL License stuff such as mp3 support, flash support,
acrobat reader, java etc. - that's unfortunate but either you hold to
the convictions of GPL or you don't. Those packages are not now, and are
unlikely to be GPL licensed and thus suitable for inclusion into the
distribution of the software itself and will likely always require 3rd
party repositories to get installed (if not a little more effort).

Gripe all you want on the incompatible license issue...it won't go away.
----

> Can anyone tell me what needs to be done for evolution?
>
> I know that there are other sites to try to make things easy
> such as http://www.stanton-finley.net but come on...  shouldn't
> these things eclipse M$ or at least get on-par with M$ who goes
> out of their way to make things easier for their customers for
> the express purpose of customer retention?
----
personally, I think the comparison to Windows is an insult to Linux in
general but recognize that there are many people whose reality of a
computer OS is Windows.

Recognize that Fedora isn't about customers or customer retention. It is
about community involvement. If you want to participate by using, by
reporting bugs, perhaps contributing to the documentation, packaging
software, doing coding, the door is open and you can choose where you
fit in...no price of admission beyond that of an open mind to absorb the
difference in philosophy from square one.

This is not Windows, not going to be Windows, and only those who wish to
see it as a replacement to Windows can judge the effectiveness of that
endeavor - that isn't the point of Linux at all. It is NOT intended to
be a replacement to Windows...it is an operating system with benefits
and shortcomings, just like all others...the big benefit is that you own
it, never need to purchase restricted use licenses, etc.

Craig