Re: Evolution: Why are images not displayed?

Dan Thurman said:
> I guess it did not occur to me until now since I am starting
> to use Evolution's Email system... is that when I receive unsolicited
> email that are html formed, I noticed that *all* of the images are shown
> with the "X" images instead of the picture they are supposed to be.
>
> Is that normal?

Yup. It's a security feature. Many such images can actually be
server-side scripts that log a confirmation of your email address
then output proper image data. This means that a potential
spammer or virus writer will know that your email address is,
in fact, valid and monitored. If I'm not mistaken, Evolution will
display the images by default if the sender is in your address
book though. Otherwise you can select it in the View menu.

> I know that there are other sites to try to make things easy
> such as http://www.stanton-finley.net but come on...  shouldn't
> these things eclipse M$ or at least get on-par with M$ who goes
> out of their way to make things easier for their customers for
> the express purpose of customer retention?
Sure it'd be easy for the user, but it'd also be a whole lot less
secure...

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)