Fedora core4 problems

I was able to fix the console login/logout problem by
updating xorg-x11. Thanks for the help on this.

I now notice that boot.log is an empty file? Is this
normal for FC4. It was there on FC2.
I checked syslogd and it is running.
/etc/syslog.conf is present and contains a line
"local7.*     /var/log/boot.log"

If I delete the empty boot.log and reboot, a new
boot.log file is created but remains empty?

Can someone advise as to how I may get it functioning
again.

Also, when did fedora switch from /mnt/* to /media/* ??
Why??

Thanks,
Regards,
Getting really bummed with this distribution,
JimP