Re: bittorrent slow

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:55:08 +0200
"nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito" <suser.koolinus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> maybe i am a little late on the topic but after having downloaded FC5
> i386 at a 60Kbps maximum rate i've downloaded the CentOS 4.3 dvd iso at
> 130Kbps and over _steady_ rate.
>
> Maybe it's just people doing "bad" sharing of their resources ...

Well CentOS (*) probably doesn't have nearly as many people
downloading it on initial release as does Fedora, so it's not really
a fair comparison.   But you're right that many people didn't stick
around to help out the Fedora torrents after downloading their copy.

Taking the DVD torrent as an example, on Wednesday of last week as the
ratio of seeders should be increasing it had actually dropped.  It was
serving 160MB/second overall with an average of 64KB/second for each
downloader.  Of course some people get better than average and some worse.
For instance I was able to download the entire DVD in about 3 hours and
ten minutes, luckily much better than average.

Looking at the bigger picture though, this i386 DVD torrent has served
up over 18,150 complete copies in six days.  That's 54TB of data, about
110 megabytes each and every second since last Monday on this one torrent
alone.

While it would be better if more people stuck around (or even came back
after installing) to share, the torrents are still doing a good job.  The
large amount downloaded via torrent must reduce the strain on the mirrors
considerably.

Sean

(*)   Offtopic, but a recent humorous story about CentOS:
      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/24/tuttle_centos/