Re: Trouble booting FC5 from DVD

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 13:10 -0500, Fred Vachon wrote:
> Thanks Paul - I burnt it both ways - as a single iso file and as an
> image "Burn DVD ISO image" from K3b that has multiple files.  Neither
> would boot.

The one with the big ISO file on it is now your ISO backup CD, but is
useless for installing from. The one where you can see multiple files
should be bootable.

> I tried to restart with an old CD1 of an earlier Fedora release and a
> bootable Knoppix CD that I had.  But no luck.
>
> I read in some install notes about configuring bios settings to boot
> first from CD drive but I'm not sure how to do this and I never had to
> configure anything before.  I have booted from this CD/DVD drive
> previously (prior to FC4) so I'm not sure why it doesn't work now.  I
> must not be configured to boot from CD/DVD but not sure how to change
> this?  On a restart the DVD drive does get recognized and the disk spins
> - but then it boots into FC4.

Some BIOSes specify the CD/DVD drive in the "boot order" part of the
setup menu, others (some Dells I've used) have a separate menu (the
Dells use F12 to access it at boot time) which lets you boot from CD,
USB etc. You'll need to poke around your BIOS menus anyway.

Paul.